Imagine the unthinkable - Antique Purses

I have some really interesting things to show you! Imagine the unthinkable.  I have been collecting them for a few years. The unthinkable? Yes... my good friend just moved into a new home and she invited me to dinner. She tells me once I arrive, "I have some things to give you."  The unthinkable happens..she starts opening up sheets of newspaper and behold....Gorgeous, but gorgeous, be still my heart...no not vintage, these are antique purses. I almost died. Each one she showed me was just as exquisite as the one before. One after another of precious beaded and embroidered beauties from the Victorian era.

I did a little research on them. This gorgeous delicate beauty is a Micro Beaded Antique purse from the late Victorian era, skillfully knitted with tiny micro glass beads


An Authentic hand made design from the late 1800's to early 1900. The interior maintains it original fabric lining and gathered trim. Stunning!!!


In such great condition. Here is a close up of the bead tassel. 


 Below a close up of the Bead work. Not one bead missing. 



Now have a look at the next one.  This is a French 1920's silver & gold  glass beaded hand bag.



Even the beige / cream lining is in great condition. Notice the stitching around the frame to hold the beaded portion. Imagine, all these antique purses are hand made. 


No visible beads missing. 



Next beaded beauty. They call these "Beaded Reticule". This is one of the finest beaded reticules I have ever had my hands on dating from the mid-1800"s.


 Usually these beaded purses have deteriorated,  to the point with many holes and with a lot of bead loss due to dry rot.  This one has a beautiful crochet top. In mint condition. 

All of these purses have obviously been cherished and meticulously cared for over the years and is about as close to perfect I have ever seen


Not a bead missing on this one either.

I have a few more to show you but I will save it for another post.

I want to thank my good friend for giving me these gorgeous items that I will cherish for a long time. I am currently repainting my glass cabinet with French Linen Chalk Paint® that usually holds all my precious belongings that I have collected throughout the years. I cannot wait to display these.  I will also try and blog about the small changes in my home...I am trying, I say trying because I really don't get much time to actually do anything around my house...my home has become so neglected. I am going to have to just take the time.

I am also going to try and blog more often just because I miss it and love it!!!! So this is a good start. :)

My quote for today.....

With will one can do anything.
Samuel Smiles



Caroline


Comments

  1. Wow, such gorgeous workmanship! They are just stunning!

    www.orphanswithmakeup.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous collection - and what a very dear thoughtful friend!!!
    Talking about dear thoughtful friends - any time you're ready to start your kitchen, I'm ready to help
    It'll cost you a couple of glasses of wine and a few good belly laughs
    I'm a cheap date dahlink...........
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a little late reading this post. What gorgeous, gorgeous purses! The craftmanship is amazing! I absolutely love them. Lucky girl!

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts